Tag Archives: youtube
Les Mis star Russell Crowe is losing it.
The Oscar winner was flummoxed Tuesday when he spied a mysterious crimson flash floating across the sky near his office in Woolloomooloo (which sounds like a space town but is, in fact, a suburb of Sydney, Australia). He even took a series of time-lapse photos of the phenomenon, which he then posted on Twitter with this not-at-all-crazy-sounding caption: “UFO? Time Lapse Photos Outside RC’s Woolloomooloo Office (THESE ARE REAL!)”
What could be the source of that light, if not straight-up aliens? It’s not his camera’s flash, said Crowe, because his Canon 5D isn’t equipped with one; it also can’t be a lens flare, because the camera was fixed.
Clearly, the invasion has begun. Or, you know, Crowe spotted the lights of a conventional aircraft, a helicopter, a bug, a car, or a yacht, as various YouTube commenters have suggested. One thing’s for sure, though: The truth is out there, and “there,” in this case, means “the Internet.”
Just yesterday we got confirmation of standalone Star Wars films that will likely be released in between the milestone episodes of the new trilogy. Disney CEO Bob Iger said we can expect at least five films in the Star Wars universe released over a six-year period starting in 2015. While rumors swirl about Yoda starring in the first spin-off, Iger says the standalone films “are not part of the overall saga.” That likely means they don’t impact the new trilogy but will still have some established characters, but we’re not sure. In the meantime, we’re left to anticipate Star Wars: Episode VII which now has director J.J. Abrams officially on board, and this new fanmade trailer just makes us more excited.
The use of Benedict Cumberbatch’s voiceover, music and Inception style horn blares from the Star Trek Into Darkness trailer are used perfectly with footage from The Force Unleashed and Old Republic video games, starfighter sequences from the prequels and more. Obviously it’s more of a teaser since it’s vague on a story, but the real issue is a lack of any emotional ground to stand on, which even the Star Trek sequel trailer has. Of course, you can’t really do much when you’re using existing footage from other media to make a trailer, but this is still edited pretty well, and just gets us excited for Star Wars: Episode VII arriving 2015.
YouTube is looking at giving its original content channel partners the option to charge users for subscriptions, Robert Kyncl, global head of content at the Google-owned online video site said here Wednesday at the Abu Dhabi Media Summit.
If the site does go ahead with this approach, “the majority will be ad-supported, and there will be some that will be paid,” he predicted.
He later told THR that there are no set plans though and that it was too early to say when such subscriptions could be offered or at what prices.
Industry observers have previously wondered if and when YouTube could offer the subscription option as a potential revenue stream besides advertising.
Kyncl said YouTube’s goal for now continues to be “taking the friction out” of the ad process to maximize ad revenue for the site and its partners. Promising advertisers that they only pay when ads are actually viewed draws higher ad rates and benefits all sides, he said.
YouTube typically sells ads against the channels and keeps all revenue up until it recoups its original investment. After that, YouTube and the content partner split ad revenue roughly 50:50.
Kyncl also said that when offering content in a branded and popular context, it draws higher ad rates. For example, he said videos of dogs on skateboards may draw minimal costs per thousand advertisers of $2 or less, but that goes up to $20 when the dogs on skateboard appear on a branded Tony Hawk channel.
Earlier this week, YouTube added more than 60 new original content channels to its lineup, including some from international content partners. The news took the company’s original programming push to a more global audience.
In a session entitled “The War for the Living Room: The Internet Takes on Television,” Kyncl also predicted that mobile usage by YouTube users will continue to rise. About 50 percent of consumption in parts of the Arabic-speaking world already happens on mobiles, he said.
Asked about the increasing usage of mobile devices during TV viewing, known in the industry as the rise of the “second screen,” he quipped that for him, television rather than iPads or smartphones are the second screen.
Remember all the fuss made about Lana Del Rey’s, Jan 15th, 2012 “Saturday Night Live” performance? We were able to watch the performance live and thought. ..’very attractive woman, with a sexy throwback voice and style. Was it perfect, maybe not, but nothing to go crazy over.
So the next day, to our surprise, the whole internet was in an uproar as critics/haters came out of the woodwork to chime in. Actress and musician Juliette Lewis was extremely harsh, (in a since-deleted tweet), “Wow, watching this ‘singer’ on SNL is like watching a 12-year-old in their bedroom when they’re pretending to sing and perform #signofourtimes.”
Not to be outdone, actress Eliza Dushku also chimed in, tweeting, “Who is this wack-a-doodle chick performing on ‘SNL’? Whaaa?”
Hell, even “NBC Nightly News” anchor Brian Williams, called Del Rey’s performance “one of the worst outings in ‘SNL’ history.” Really Brian Williams? REALLY?!!! Did you forget about Ashlee Simpson’s acid reflux, jig and running off the stage performance? …REALY?!!!
Is this what society’s become? Just sitting in front of our computers with twitter open waiting to pounce on any given story, regurgitating blatant statements to embarrass and defame someone’s career? If so, then let’s all stop this so called ‘war on bullying’ and let chips fall where they may. You can’t preach to stop bullying when you in fact use social network as a tool to bully someone you dislike.
Will this hyper, A.D.D inflicted and sheep-like behavior end? Only time will tell. Until then, we’ll be here to keep the balance and give you the REAL Slice.
Check out one of Lana Del Rey’s newest videos exploding on youtube. You be the judge.
Lana Del Rey available on iTunes & Amazon:
Born To Die Standard Edition:
Born To Die Deluxe Edition
A man and his wife were on their way to an airport to pick up her family when – while she was fast asleep in the passenger seat – he spotted a tow truck pulling another truck from behind.
“There’s a truck getting towed, and it looks like it’s coming at us and my wife’s asleep. We’re going to see if we can scare her,” he said on the video, which he uploaded to his YouTube page, TheMannyChannel.
“Her reaction was priceless,” he wrote on his YouTube page.
ILL MIND OF HOPSIN 5 #hopsin
In an age where Rap and Hip-Hop are easily blamed for all that is wrong with this world, one man known as ‘Hopsin’ rises out of the shadows to spit some knowledge in your kepi. Unlike most positive Hip Hop artist, …we know, sounds like an oxymoron, Hopsin doesn’t kowtow to the masses. He doesn’t care about being politically correct as to not offend the record labels or the Suburban mom shelling out $13.98 at the local Wall-Mart to keep her brood in the know. Hopsin tells it like it is. You might say ‘ILL MIND OF HOPSIN 5 #hopsin’ is sort of a modern day “Scared Straight” tactic. We’ve all seen those guys before, dressed shabbily as they pull up to your local school in an old van that was parked by the river. Before you dismiss this lyrical mastermind as another flash in the pan, we ask you to just sit back and take a listen.
Hopsin has gained high popularity on YouTube, where many of his songs accompanied with music videos are uploaded, most remarkably “Sag My Pants”, uploaded in October 2010, and “Ill Mind of Hopsin 4″, uploaded in July 2011, with the former having over thirteen million views and the latter having just over twelve million (both as of June 2012). On July 18, 2012, his 27th birthday, he released “Ill Mind of Hopsin 5″, which received over 4,000,000 views within 96 hours.
With the release of ILL MIND OF HOPSIN 5 #hopsin, the rise continues.
Sofia Vergara and Wilmer Valderrama are among the talent contributing to Electus’ new YouTube channel NuevOn, the company said Monday.
NuevOn (Spanish for “New On,” more or less), which launched yesterday, will offer “high-impact, buzz-worthy programming almost entirely in Spanish,” according to Electus. The channel was conceptualized with Electus in partnership with Latin World Entertainment CEO Luis Balaguer, and will target “young, multi-cultural Latinos.”
Vergara’s contribution to the channel is “Mi Vida Con Toty,” a “loud, in-your-face reality series” that features the “Modern Family” star and her 20-year-old son, Manolo Gonzalez Vergara, as he chronicles his mother’s “Hollywood Latino life.” New episodes will premiere every Thursday.
“Awake” star Valderrama, meanwhile, created and will executive-produce “King of the Floor,” a reality competition series that will grant viewers “a rarely seen glimpse into the elusive world of underground break dancing.” The series will premiere sometime in the coming months.
Also on the NuevOn slate: “Archivos Mortales,” a scripted thriller in the “Paranormal Activity” vein that will follow two journalism students as they attempt to complete a research project on a San Juan tradition where “the devil comes to take some souls.” The project goes awry when “a terrible past comes back to haunt” the student journalists. The series will air Fridays.
The channel’s current roster is fleshed out by the entertainment news/gossip show “Feim Fix,” with host Felipe Viel; “Yes You Can With Chaban,” which features formerly overweight soap-opera star Alejandro Chaban sharing weight-loss tips; and “Turn It On,” which will present weekly highlights from the channel’s programming.
NuevOn’s full talent and programming slate will be announced in the coming weeks.
The co-founder of Invisible Children has been taken to hospital in San Diego, California, after he was found semi-naked and screaming at traffic.
Jason Russell narrated the Kony 2012 campaign video which went viral on the internet last week.
Police said he had been detained and taken to a medical facility.
In a statement, Invisible Children head Ben Keesey said that a “severe emotional toll” had led to an “unfortunate incident”.
The statement said Mr Russell had been hospitalised on Thursday “suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition”.
San Diego police spokeswoman Andra Brown told AFP news agency: “Officers responded to a radio call to check the welfare of an individual who was said to be running in the street, interfering with traffic, screaming – one person said that he was naked and masturbating.”
She added that after assessing his condition, officers had decided to take him to a medical facility for treatment.
Invisible Children’s 30 minute video on the use of child soldiers by Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda has been viewed tens of millions of times on YouTube over the past week.
It has the backing of countless celebrities and the International Criminal Court’s chief prosecutor, but both the group and the video have also come under heavy criticism.
Activists say the campaign simplifies a complex issue, and questions have been raised about Invisible Children’s financing.