Ever wonder what became of Paris Hilton’s music career?
Well the 32-year-old socialite has now signed to Cash Money Records and will release music alongside labelmates Nicki Minaj, Drake and Lil Wayne, reports MTV News.
Hilton’s self-titled debut was released in 2006 and the vixen said to Showbiz 411 she hopes to have a follow up soon with Cash Money, adding that it would feature multiple hip-hop acts.
Despite being signed to a mostly hip-hop label, Paris Hilton says her second album will most be dance music.
“This is a lot different than my first album,” she described. “It’s really going to be house music.”
Label reps confirmed Hilton is the newest member to their musical family although her rep indicated that it’s not a solid deal as of yet: “Paris Hilton is in talks with a number of record labels right now but we can’t confirm anything. When a deal is finalized we will make an official announcement.”
Birdman of Young Money Cash Money Billionaires tweeted Wednesday, “Welcome @ParisHilton to tha Family. RichgangRichgirl. YMCMB.”
Lil Wayne has collaborated with Paris Hilton in the past.
“Love this song I recorded with @LilTunechi,” she wrote. “Love Lil Wayne, he is so amazing! Can’t wait for our new song! #I(heart)YMCMB”
The starlet confirmed what her rep seems to be denying, that her long standing relationship with Cash Money is now turning into an actual musical venture.
Birdman indicated that while some other acts may not be signed to the label they still collaborate to put out projects.
“We have other artists like Future, who is not signed to us but a part of us,” he explained to RapFix. “A lot of business we do don’t necessarily have to be about money, it’s about relationships and this is about people that we have relationships with.”
Hilton’s self-described “electro-pop music” will reportedly be released sometime in the summer of 2013, although she teased fans last year when she indicated her sophomore effort was going to be out in mid-2012.
“I think a lot of people don’t know that music is my passion since I was a little girl,” she told MTV News last year. “I’m very musically talented. This is more my thing [musically on this album], more of a club scene, more dance.”
Disney’s official fan club has just broken the news on Twitter: Annette Funicello has died at age 70.
The actress, singer and beloved Mousketeer had been hospitalized due to complications from multiple sclerosis, according to Extra.
The Disney Fan Club says Funicello died today at Mercy Southwest Hospital in Bakersfield, Calif.
Her family confirmed to Extra that Funicello died from complications of multiple sclerosis. They were by her side when she was taken off life support. Funicello had been in an MS coma for years, reports the site.
Funicello was 12 when she became a Mouseketeer. As a teen, she was launched on a successful singing and acting career, but she really gained popularity when she co-starred with Frankie Avalon in a series of “Beach Party” movies in the mid-1960s.
In 1992, Annette announced she had MS.
Funicello was married to her first husband, Jack Gilardi, from 1965 until 1981, and had three children. In 1986, she married California harness racing horse breeder/trainer Glen Holt.
Roger Ebert, the legendary film critic, died today, his long-time employer, The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.
Ebert had been wrestling with cancer for years. Over his life, he was treated for salivary gland cancer, thyroid cancer and cancer of the jawbone. Ebert lost his jaw and his ability to talk, but he still kept up an unrelenting pace, reviewing more than 200 movies a year for the paper and keeping up an admired digital presence On his blog and on twitter, he chronicled his struggle with cancer and just two days ago, he penned a post saying he was taking a “leave of presence.”
Ebert was 70.
“At this point in my life, in addition to writing about movies, I may write about what it’s like to cope with health challenges and the limitations they can force upon you,” he wrote. “It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness.”
Perhaps Ebert’s greatest accomplishment was his 1975 Pulitzer Prize. He was the first film critic to win one.
Less than a year after acquiring the primary video game branch of the legendary “Star Wars” franchise, Disney is closing LucasArts Entertainment Company.
According to a statement originally obtained by Game Informer, Disney is closing down LucasArts in order to move the company away internal game development, choosing instead to license the “Star Wars” IP out to a wider variety of third party developers than was presumably available in-house.
“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,” the statement read. “As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”
The fate of the upcoming action-adventure game “Star Wars 1313,” along with the full extent of the current layoffs from LucasArts, is unclear. The video game website Kotaku is reporting that LucasArts has laid off 150 employees so far and has cancelled “1313,” but another report from Game Informer claims that a representative from the company still thinks the game could come out through a licensing agreement.
The news comes after several years of diminishing returns for the struggling game developer. Despite the iconic stature of “Star Wars” in pop culture today, LucasArts’ core business strategy of developing and licensing games based on the popular sci-fi franchise has steadily declined in sales and critical reception. One of the most recent big-budget reboots of the franchise—BioWare’s massive multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) “Star Wars: The Old Republic”—was meant to be Electronic Arts’ response to the unprecedented success of Activision Blizzard’s “World of Warcraft” series. But after opening to initial praise from game critics and fans, the series failed to attract a significant audience to recoup EA and BioWare’s six year-long, $200 million investment, and the game was eventually turned into a free-to-play title in the hopes of drawing in more players.
As a developer, LucasArts has also struggled to retain top talent from competitors in the industry. The company attracted skepticism in the summer of 2012, for instance, when famed game industry veteran Clint Hocking (who had joined LucasArts after working on the “Splinter Cell” and “Far Cry” franchises) left his position without a single “Star Wars” game to show for his two years as a creative director.
Disney acquired LucasArts, along with Lucasfilm, last October for $4.05 billion.
On March 28, ESPN accused Khloe Kardashian‘s husband Lamar Odom of using funds from his kid’s cancer charity for unrelated purposes. Cathy’s Kids, named after Lamar’s mother who died of stomach cancer, is a charity aimed at raising money for cancer research and underprivileged children.
Investigators for ESPN’s show Outside the Lines claimed the charity has raised $2.2 million since 2004, but hasn’t spent any of it on anything cancer-related. Instead, the investigators claim that at least 60 percent of the funds have been used to fund elite basketball travel teams, and that Lamar also used the charity’s money to pay his high school coach’s annual salary of $26,000.
Khloe Kardashian attempted to do some damage control by firing back-
“It is unfortunate that my husband has been the target of an attack on athletes’ charities, although he has personally contributed approximately $2.2 million to his foundation, Cathy’s Kids, to fulfill its charitable purposes that include helping underprivileged inner-city youth,” Khloe writes.
She adds, “The millions of dollars personally contributed by Lamar constituted more than 90% of the money raised by the foundation. All of the funds donated by Lamar and the other contributions to Cathy’s Kids were used for one of the foundation’s intended charitable purposes. Not one penny went to help Lamar personally or any member of his family. No charitable funds were misused, and the IRS has repeatedly given Cathy’s Kids a clean bill of health, confirming that there were no improprieties.”
Khloe ended by noting, “Cathy’s Kids was formed with several purposes in mind, including benefitting underprivileged youth and cancer research. A decision was ultimately made that the charity should focus on one of those purposes — to help enrich the lives of underprivileged inner-city youth. It accomplished that goal. Cathy’s Kids helped fund multiple AAU basketball teams providing underprivileged youth with opportunities enriching their lives, providing financial support for coaching and travel to tournaments, helping inner-city youth on a path toward success and leading many participants to go on to college.”
Jay Z is expanding his influence from music and fashion into professional sport. Yesterday, the rapper and record mogul announced the creation of Roc Nation Sports, an agency for athletes such as baseball star Robinson Canó.
Canó’s contract is the first home run for Jay-Z’s new company, created with Roc Nation president Juan Perez and in partnership with Creative Artists Agency, a top talent shop. The New York Yankees’ second baseman is in the final season of a $57m (£38m) deal, and was previously represented by super-agent Scott Boras. When ESPN contacted Boras yesterday, he indicated that his former client hadn’t told him about the news. “I don’t want to comment, other than to say I haven’t spoken to [Canó],” Boras said. “I hope to.”
In recent years, Jay-Z’s sporting affairs have gone a lot further than raps about Freddy Adu and Michael Jordan. In 2004, he bought into the New Jersey Nets, a basketball team that has since become the Brooklyn Nets, and although the rapper’s stake is reportedly only about 0.07%, he has more or less become the face of the franchise. Now, Jay-Z is allegedly planning to become a certified sports agent, working with baseball players and eventually in basketball and American football. “Because of my love of sports, it was a natural progression to form a company where we can help top athletes in various sports the same way we have been helping artists in the music industry for years,” he said in a statement.
Although Jay-Z is still a long way from being hip-hop’s Jerry Maguire, the rapper’s new enterprise has lots of help. Canó will be represented at Roc Nation Sports by a team of agents borrowed from Creative Artists Agency, which already works with stars such as Buster Posey, Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham.
Until now, the most notorious crossover of hip-hop and sports agency was No Limit Sports, launched by rapper Master P. As a rep for NFL running back Ricky Williams, Master P inked a contract that is considered one of the worst sport deals of all time: Williams only ever received $3.8m of a purported $68.4m contract. Master P is no longer active as a sports agent.
In addition to brushing up on his sport-contract legalese, Jay-Z is reportedly finishing work on the soundtrack for Baz Luhrmann’s upcoming Great Gatsby movie. While Craig Armstrong composed the score, Jigga is the executive producer; he has apparently collaborated with the Bullitts’ Jeymes Samuel as well as DJ Kid Koala. This week, E! News reported that Jay-Z’s wife, Beyoncé, will contribute a cover of Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black, recorded with Outkast rapper André 3000.
Jake Davidson is one brave 17-year-old.
The high school senior from Los Angeles asked Sports Illustrated model Kate Upton to be his prom date via a YouTube video. In the clip, titled “Kate Upton, Will You Go to Prom With Me?,” Jake explains why Upton should be his date.
“Kate, can I call you Katie? OK, Kate works,” Jake says in the video, while taking a shower.
“Kate, great moments are born from great opportunity and that is what you have here today, a chance to make a nice guy’s senior year the best ever,” he continues, while tying his tie.
He goes on to explain that he can’t dance and he’s shorter than her, but they do have commonalities, including Sports Illustrated. Upton poses in it, wearing swimsuits, and Jake reads it.
And Jake might just get his perfect prom. The model tweeted back to him Tuesday, saying, “you can call me Katie if you want! How could I turn down that video! I’ll check my schedule ”
Jake was then surprised on NBC’s “Today” show this morning by a phone call from Upton.
“This just got so much better now that you’re on the phone,” he said before pitching his prom night to her. “I’m telling you it will be a great night, great evening. I could even get the curfew extended hopefully by my parents, maybe. I hope you’d be interested if your schedule is free, and what time should I pick you up if you are interested?”
Upton, 20, told the teen he seems like a lot of fun but she has to check her schedule.
If the date goes through, Jake might just have to work on changing that 11 p.m. curfew.
R. Kelly’s Chicago-area mansion has been sold out from under him at a major loss. The “Share My Love” singer got no love from the bank that foreclosed on his $3.5 million home.
JP Morgan Chase began foreclosure proceedings on the 22,000 square-foot property in 2011 after a year’s worth of missed mortgage payments.
TMZ reports Kelly tried to sell the mansion, which boasts six bedrooms, eight full and six half baths, and an indoor swimming pool for a cool $1.5 million. But with no takers, the bank pulled the plug and auctioned the house off for $950,000. Once a judge signs off on the deal, Chase can request a court order to evict Kelly.
Kelly built the house from scratch in 1997 after demolishing a property he bought for $1.5 million. Chase gave him the $3.5 million loan in 1999, and according to court documents, he still owed $2.9 million when the foreclosure process began.
So, if R. Kelly is homeless now, where will “Trapped in the Closet,” Chapters 22 – 54 be based?
Lindsay Lohan is heading back to rehab! During the live stream of Lindsay’s court hearing on Mar. 18, Lindsay was sentenced to five days in jail, 90 days of rehab, 30 days of community service and 18 months of psychotherapy. Lindsay was in court after lying to police, claiming she wasn’t driving during a June 2012 car accident.
The judge was less than thrilled while sentencing Lindsay. Not only did she arrive 48 minutes late, she ended up pleading guilty to one charge and no contest to two others.
The judge ended up sentencing her to five days in jail (which will be folded into her stay in rehab, so she’ll never see the inside of a jail cell). Then 90 days of rehab must be completed, and it can’t be out patient.
Her probation was extended for two more years, and she had to go to counseling for the next year and a half. She also must complete 30 days of community service, which she can do in NYC.
Meanwhile, Lindsay looked exhausted, she could barely keep her eyes open. Plus, she kept telling her attorney Mark Heller to stop talking, she looked incredibly angry.
Justin Bieber can now add another name to his ever-growing list of “haters” — Lindsay Lohan.
The 19-year-old pop star posted a rant on his Instagram account Thursday railing against “all the lies in the press right now” and ending with an apparently unintentional diss of Lohan.
“To those comparing me to Lindsay Lohan look at her 2012 tax statements ,” he wrote – before having a change of heart and deleting the post shortly afterwards.
Bieber later apologized when reached by TMZ and asked to explain his insult of the reportedly near-broke “Mean Girls” starlet’s finances.
“My post was only up for a few minutes but I realized right away that what I said at the end was wrong and distracted from what I was trying to say,” Bieber told the gossip site.
What Bieber was trying to say to critics is that he’s far too rich and successful to be labeled a spoiled brat – despite a recent bout of head-scratching behavior during the British leg of his concert tour.
Among the highlights that likely won’t make his next 3D documentary — Bieber kicked off his birthday celebration by walking the streets of London with his shirt off, threatened to attack a British paparazzo who cursed him and started one of his concerts two hours late.
“Everyone in my team has been telling me, “keep the press happy” but I’m tired of all the countless lies in the press right now,” he wrote in his Instagram rant, which was later reposted minus the Lohan slight.
“I’m 19 with 5 number one albums, 19 and I’ve seen the whole world. 19 and I’ve accomplished more than I could’ve ever dreamed of, i’m 19 and it must be scary to some people to think that this is just the beginning.
“ I know my talent level and i know i got my head on straight. i know who i am and i know who i’m not My messege is to to believe. …I honestly don’t care if you don’t believe in me because I believe in me, my friends believe, my family believe, my fans believe, and look where that’s gotten me so far..”
Bieber added that he’s human and makes mistakes — but that he doesn’t feel he’s deserved the negative spate of press he’s received in recent weeks.
Lohan may want to think twice before retaliating — Olivia Wilde says she received 17,000 angry, profanity-laced responses from Beliebers after she tweeted, “Bieber, put your f–king shirt on. (Unless you lost all your shirts in a fire in which case my condolences and please purchase a new shirt.)”